urbanemovies's profile

9.4K Messages

 • 

157.1K Points

Tuesday, February 8th, 2022 1:18 PM

Live Poll: Oscars 2022 — Best Picture

Which 2022 Academy Awards nominee for 'Best Motion Picture of the Year' do you think should win the Oscar?

Live Poll: https://www.imdb.com/poll/7Jt1hchho14/


See the list of 2022 Oscar nominated Best Picture titles here: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls534423920/

1.3K Messages

 • 

28.4K Points

2 years ago

There are 11 on the list :)

9.4K Messages

 • 

157.1K Points

@Hoekkie​ Thanks, corrected. (I was setting up/editing the list.)

8 Messages

 • 

122 Points

2 years ago

I am surprised, House of Gucci is not in the list. 

9.4K Messages

 • 

157.1K Points

@MickelC​ It is always tough to fit all the deserving choices in every year. It wasn't so long ago that the limit was five Best Picture nominees, instead of ten.

(edited)

8 Messages

 • 

122 Points

That is the question, what makes a movie deserving to get fit in the nominations for best picture. 

I believe Oscars are not fair.

(edited)

9.4K Messages

 • 

157.1K Points

Which film would you bump to make room for House of Gucci?

Plus, when you have ten nominations up for grabs, it is likely the 9th and 10th spots are getting somewhere around 5% of the total nomination votes in the first round of counting voter's top choice. The 11th and 12th spots are probably within spitting distance at about 4% of the total first round count of top choices. The difference in the first round of counting is probably less than 1% between the last two inclusions (ie 5.2%, 5.0%) and the last two exclusions (ie 4.8%, 4.6%). So, it doesn't take much to be on the outside looking in or the other way around. There is definitely more disagreement over the last two spots than consensus there is on the top two spots.

Plus, the AMPAS has reverted back to a guaranteed ten nomination pool for Best Picture and a preferential or ranked voting system to be even fairer. This type of counting enables movies with deep and widespread support, but that are not as strong at the top to triumph over those movies that have very narrow support, but of which is strongly held. In other words, movies that are fervently loved by 8% of the voters, but universally hated by the other 92% will fare worse in a preferential vote count.

This year the top eight Best Picture spots were considered locks, with only two spots really up for grabs in this year's race. 

https://www.goldderby.com/feature/2022-oscars-best-picture-nominations-ballot-counting-1204746337/

(edited)

8 Messages

 • 

122 Points

I would take off Don't look up and insert HOG. 

(edited)

9.4K Messages

 • 

157.1K Points

I would probably disagree on the fairness issue, it seems like AMPAS takes at lot steps in that regard toward voting in the nomination and award rounds. 

But, I did notice that Don't Look Up has a lower Meta Critic score than House of Guicci. So far, IMDb voters have taken the opposite view raking Don't Look Up higher.

This is pure speculation on my part, but Don't Look Up has been seen by far more people than House of Guici, 6 1/2 times as many based on IMDb votes. Maybe, that disparity translated in getting more nomination votes because Don't Look Up was more widely seen, rather than being more liked by people who had seen both movies. After all you can't like or vote for what you haven't seen. The viewership disparity likely was far too great for the ranked preferential voting to overcome in the nomination phase. 

8 Messages

 • 

122 Points

Agreed. 

Champion

 • 

4.8K Messages

 • 

98.4K Points

2 years ago

Belfast

Champion

 • 

14K Messages

 • 

325.7K Points

2 years ago

9.4K Messages

 • 

157.1K Points

@Peter_pbn​ Thanks