K

2 Messages

 • 

84 Points

Tue, Jul 27, 2021 1:46 PM

2

More personalized top picks

Why is the personalized film recommendations limited to only 50 films?

Nowadays this feature is called top picks and it gives you film recommendations based on films you have rated or added to the watchlist. This feature works surprisingly well after you have rated some films and its always been one of my favorite things about this site as you get recommended some great obscure and niche films you have never heard in other places. I personally don't have much interest in most of the mainstream stuff people watch nowadays, and this feature has always helped find new films that I am actually interested in. I get the focus on recommending people mainstream stuff with editorialized lists, but I don't understand why it has the be in the expense of the personalized algorithmic feature that works so well. Its been years now, but you used to be able to scroll through these recommendations endlessly to your hearts content and I used to have a blast going through it for quite a while on long buss trips finding a bunch of fun films thanks to it. Then for some reason during an update the list was limited to a set amount. At one point there was an option to select films you are not interested which helped combat the limited amount of recommendations as it wouldn't keep showing that film when you refresh the page. But now even that option is gone and the top picks feature has become almost completely useless as it will just keep showing the same 50 films as recommendations and most of them will not change even if you refresh the page, the only thing that changes the list a little is pick some of the on the watchlist or rate them, but even then most of the films be the same exact films I don't want to watch for one reason or not. The problem is even worse on the app where you have to go back and forth out of the top picks and back into it to see the 50 films change to something else, you cant just refresh the page by pulling down like you can in browsers, its extremely clumsy to use at the moment, it would be amazing if you could just endlessly scroll down and see more recommendations.

In short, please make it possible to endlessly scroll for more personalized top picks or at the very least greatly increase the amount of film and bring back the "not interested" button, but endless scrolling would be infinitely better. Thank you and sorry for the long ranty post, but this has really bugged me for years now as it is or at least used to be my favorite thing about the site.

1.4K Messages

 • 

22.2K Points

4 m ago

I've not rated or reviewed anything so far, and I haven't checked out any of the Top Picks lists either until now, but I agree, you should be able to keep scrolling and remove options you're not interested in.

I've just had a quick look at my Top Picks and it contains 15 shows I've already seen out of a total of 48.

How has IMDB picked them?

I've got no idea, however I'm fairly sure it's because I've clicked on and/or edited most of them in the past, whether I liked them or not.

I'll definitely be watching 5 of the ones I haven't seen in future however, and will maybe watch a minimum of 10-12 (possibly more) of the remaining 28 eventually.

Why do those 15-17 titles interest me?

95% of them interest me because of the British casts and/or the British companies who made them. The remaining 5% interest me because of the genre they're in and one of their creators.

Employee

 • 

4.5K Messages

 • 

145.1K Points

4 m ago

@kasetti Thanks for the feedback on the feature.  It sounds like you are using the Android app so we will move the idea over to that category. We are working towards a more consistent experience across the web, iOS and Android over time. 

In the meantime, although not ideal, if you visit the IMDb home page in the browser on your phone (and sign-in), you will see the same "Top picks >" on the home page. There's a little information symbol "(i)" under each pick which offers a "Not interested" option. 

Hope this helps. 

2 Messages

 • 

84 Points

@Col_Needham Yes, I use Android. Had to look for that "i" for a while as I thought it would also be on the dedicated "Top Picks" page, but its only on the home page top picks section, which is a bit weird. That does help, thank you.

Employee

 • 

4.5K Messages

 • 

145.1K Points

@kasetti  Yes, thanks and sorry about that (goes back to my comment on us needing to work on the inconsistencies, even on the same site).